Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Guggenheim

I wasn't really allowed to take pictures at the Gugg, so I cheated.


The art was all modern or before, stopping at 1989, if I'm not mistaken, and all Asian influenced, kinda. Honestly sometimes it felt like the curator was stretching the work to make it fit the theme. But what do I know- I have a BFA, I'm not the curator of a world famous museum.
There was a classic Warhol film of the dude sleeping, and that AWFUL video of a woman with a bunch of acupuncture needles in her face, reading something about her dead husband (I think) in monotone...
and alot of art about calligraphy, which just does not appeal to me at all.
BUT! I can get behind trees and a wall of beer.




These last two videos of the only two contemporary works were cool- the first a kinetic sculpture- that made sounds, worked with the whole space of the museum, and dealt with dropping cut up books- and the second a bizzareo sensory altering room. Ch-ch-check it out!

No comments: