Thursday, April 23, 2009

Earth Day is Everyday!

Earth Day was yesterday. I didn't post because I was overwhelmed with my thoughts about what to write.
There is nothing more important, more non-partisan, more global of an issue than the current crisis we face as a world. Before I'm a Brooklynite, a New Yorker, an American, a Westerner, I am a Global Citizen. I am always puzzled how one abdicate their personal responsibility to their home and their community by poor environmental practices. It is beyond my frame of comprehension how one who is educated about thier actions can still consistantly vote for convince over the environmental choice.
This is not a conservative or liberal view point, this is a moral decision which we all must make, everday. It is critical that we look at every action we take as a choice. Paper or plastic or canvas or nothing? What choice are you making?

As Bill Nye would say- consider this, Meatless Mondays!


No one is asking anyone to go above and beyond what is easy-peasy to do. Its hard to imagine cutting out driving everyday, composting, and installing solar panels. But it is totally easy to imagine not eating meat one day a week. That's only one seventh of your life, that you can dedicate to your home.
Why would you do anything to harm it?

Other ideas include- using a cermaic mug, or travel mug (barista's usually grin, and today me and my peeps got charged for three small coffees, instead of the lattes we actually ordered. See being green, sometimes you get to keep your green!)
-Tupperwear instead of sandwich bags
-Antiquing, then your furniture looks cooler, it has history, its gonna last, and your home is not filled with poorly made, ubiqituous items. Plus there is no thirll like the perfect find and the haggle. Once I got a mirror half off. (which goes with the being green means saving green)

And this one is the biggest and best of them all- REDUCING YOUR CONSUMPTION! YOU DON'T NEED TO BUY MORE THINGS!!! (Think of all the money you could save!)

If you need a new dress, check out your local consingment store. I have the ballerest Bestey Johnson, Halston, Calvin Klien and Helmut Lang dresses from minez.

Now I'll be stepping off my soap box, but remember kiddies, this is probably the most important thing you could be doing for your life, and everyone around you.

No comments: