Monday, February 8, 2010

Hunter MFA: part one


Hunter has some really great grad students, a fantastic MFA program and my most favorite open studios. The spirit is just, what I like to call, super fun.
Take this charcoal drawing of tires for instance. I love this artist. Last time I was in her studio she had done some amazing charcoal drawings of old cast iron radiators that were so well done they looked almost photographic, and somehow appeared to have the texture of velvet at the same time. Her subject matter is always intriguing and she manages to keep a signature look while not repeating herself, switching it up and maintaining my interest.

Then there was this. At first glance I want to say a- what a failure and b- ugh typical art school nonsense. But once I disregard the awful way the sheet with the human pattern pieces is displayed, and turn away from the it-puts-the-lotion-on-its-skin concept on a whole, and try to forget the very little person awkwardly standing around with a trying-to-be-demure-but-its-not-working white suit on, I can appreciate the aesthetic quality of.... never mind I just talked myself out of it.I chose the rest of these because they play with light. You can call me a wanna-be curator!



1 comment:

erin alison said...

Then there was this. At first glance I want to say a- what a failure and b- ugh typical art school nonsense. But once I disregard the awful way the sheet with the human pattern pieces is displayed, and turn away from the it-puts-the-lotion-on-its-skin concept on a whole, and try to forget the very little person awkwardly standing around with a trying-to-be-demure-but-its-not-working white suit on, I can appreciate the aesthetic quality of.... never mind I just talked myself out of it.


^^^ THIS just cracked my shit up reeeeeal bad. LOVE IT.