Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Vote Transit!

I'm super pissed that the price of the monthly is being raised, yet again. The MTA is fining the people that use it the most, their most loyal customers. And with noticeable service cuts (hello ten minutes late to work today), they are charging more for a worsening product. Not only does this personally affect me, and many of you, but more importantly it makes the fares prohibitively expensive to our fellow new yorkers who are not as fortunate as us to have a salary as high as mine. On a personal level the 17% (!) raise stretches my already stretched pay, and even paying back student loans and medical bills I can still afford it, I just won't go out to dinner, or see a movie. Consider the single parents, the perpetually unemployed, those who work several jobs, the disabled, etc and need the public transit to make their lives work, and also need the extra dollars to make ends meet.
I rarely support organized rallies, but this is my community, my city and my problem. This is our public transit. I'm going to this rally, for you, for me, and for those who cannot go to advocate for themselves and I hope that you will join me!
Details below- and info on the raise at this link-

And from the Transportation Alternatives site:

VOTE TRANSIT! A rally to stop the fare hike and future service cuts.


Vote Transit! A rally to end fare hikes and service cuts

On October 27th, Transportation Alternatives' Rider Rebellion campaign is hosting a rally to stop the fare hike and future service cuts, "VOTE TRANSIT!"

Just days before the election, transit riders from all five boroughs will come together with a single message: if you want transit riders to stand up in NYC and vote for you on November 2nd, then stand up in Albany and vote for transit!

New York City's transit riders are tired of fare hikes, tired of service cuts, tired of dirty stations and tired of elected officials that won't do what's necessary to end New York City's public transit crisis. To fight the fare hike and future service cuts, the New York State Legislature must take bold action in 2011.

Be there!

Music and performances
Special guest speaker: TBA
Representatives from all of the major political parties

Start: October 27, 2010 - 5:30pm
End: October 27, 2010 - 7:00pm
Location:

Union Square, south side

East 14th St and Union Square East
Manhattan

1 comment:

James Botha said...

I'll take you out to dinner and a movie.