Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day! Everyday!

Oh yes- I'm stepping back on my soap box. C'mon, you know you love it, and you only have to tolerate it ever so slightly.

Lately I've been having a bit of a personal moral compass crisis. Feeling overwhelmed (a all too familiar feeling when thinking about the environment) like I can't make change and the issues at hand are so complex that the right choice seems so inextricably tangled in a mess of consequences (unless I quit the city and move to a big ole plot of land, build a permaculture house and start my own farm- another completely overwhelming idea and who am I kidding, I love the city) that my brains kinda exploded for a little while. Acquiring new information was halted and my need for critical discourse rose to the surface. I needed enviro-cheerleaders, team green members, fans of the Earth.
So last night, egged on by PBS, I took the initiative and invited my friends to watch Food Inc. together. My friends, who I love dearly but usually see only at the bar, whose eating habits range from Vegan to "Its yummy," gathered together to partake in a mostly vegan, meatfree potluck and to watch a food politics documentary.
Afterward we engaged in friendly conversation. There was no finger pointing from the meat free to the chicken eaters, no high and mighty condescending tones, just chit chat about what are some small and personal steps we can take as consumers to make better choices.
What is so cool about eating is that it is something you have to do every day. It makes being an environmentalist very accessible. So everyday you have the luxury to make a choice, and you can choose to eat McDonald's, or you can bring your own lunch in a reusable container. As my very smart pal, Megan, said (when I moral compas crisis-ed all over her) "Nothing about it is easy. You can get bogged down in the process, but you have to just make good choices when you can."

I talked a little bit about Meatless Mondays last year, but I still think its a fantastic decision so go czech it out!


I continue to remain true to this idea- Before I'm a Brooklynite, a New Yorker, an American, a Westerner, I am a Global Citizen. To be an environmentalist is not a conservative or liberal action, this is a moral decision which we all must make, everyday. It is critical that we look at every action we take as a choice. Paper or plastic or canvas or nothing? What choice are you making?

I hope you have all are inspired to make this earthy day a little more thoughtful than last years!
Maybe today will be a meat free day? Or maybe you will go outside and enjoy the earth during lunch? Or something else totally baller!

No comments: