Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Geocaching

The story of how and why I went to Copenhagen is too good, and I want to tell it correctly, so for right now I am going to leave you on the edge of your seats in wonder. I will say that I got VERY excited right after I purchased the tickets and did what anyone would do- brag on facebook. Of course some people were excited and everyone was jealous but the important thing to note is because I have the best friends in the world three people arranged their travel plans to meet me in Copenhagen. Which is a huge compliment and so flattering and amazing. Thank you friends!
One of those super cool, amazing friends was Rixa, who actually found out from the horse's mouth as she was my lovely guest during fashion week.
Charley and I met up with Rixa and her friends from Hamburg (which is only two-ish hours away making a trip to Copenhagen very easy. So easy in fact that I was surprised to learn she had never been there before!) to explore Christiania which is another one of those things that is hard to define exactly but is a kind of communal living space within Copenhagen with a small population of, for lack of a better word, hippies. There is probably a whole slew of things to say about the little town that are far more interesting than what I'm about to say, but this seems to be the number one talking point about the place- you can buy pot and its mostly tolerated by the authorities.
Whatever. So we met up and starting walking over there, but on the way we had to make a pit stop to find the Geo Cash. Which I didn't know what it was. But then I realized I misunderstood, its a Geocache. Okay- so I still didn't get what it was. I was told we were trying to find a Geocache which is a box left by some other intrepid traveler for other Geocachers to find and make their mark. Or something. It was clear I didn't get it all the way- BUT WE WERE ON A MISSION AND DAMN IT I WAS INTO IT.
So we walked down this very long road to a church at the end. The Geocache was in there, somewhere. But what does a Geocache look like? What are we looking for? Huh?
We got inside the church's entry way and according to Rixa's friend the Geocache was here. We didn't know what we were looking for and checked under surfaces, behind pamphlets, etc. BUT GUESS WHO FOUND IT!? That's right, gangsters, yours truly.
That plastic box is a Geocache. We wrote in the book (well I didn't because I'm not a Geocacher...yet) and took photos. It was then that I decided this was the coolest thing ever. But apparently you need a GPS thinger or something. So I lost interest, my phone doesn't even have photo texting much less the internet.
This is what Wikipedia has to say about Geocacheing- "Geocaching is an outdoor sporting activity in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers, called "geocaches" or "caches", anywhere in the world. A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook where the geocacher enters the date they found it and signs it with their established code name. Larger containers such as plastic storage containers (tupperware or similar) or ammo boxes can also contain items for trading, usually toys or trinkets of little value. Geocaching is often described as a "game of high-tech hide and seek," sharing many aspects with benchmarking, trigpointing, orienteering, treasure-hunting, letterboxing, and waymarking.

Geocaches are currently placed in over 100 countries around the world and on all seven continents, including Antarctica.[1] After 10 years of activity there are over 1.3 million active geocaches published on various websites. There are over 5 million geocachers worldwide."


Neat, right?



2 comments:

Nicole Breeze said...

Nice adventure...the modern day equivalent of a treasure hunt. :)

Anonymous said...

welcome to 2006...